Friday, September 26, 2014

Arrived in the place I'm calling home

Leaving the comfort to be in the chippy. Leaving the capital to head to the provincia. Waving goodbye to the secure to jump in the dogpile. Leaving the stability to chase the desires. Jumping over the obstacle instead of running around it. Doing things the way you feel, in your geenweeno (genuine) self, you need to do them.

Living in comfort is hard to give up, but I ache for authenticity of the place I am in, a reality of which is easy to avoid if you are in the right economic class. However I would give up comfort for authenticity any day, even if you when I am sitting on the toilet without a toilet seat (no toilets seem to have toilet seats in Arequipa) and the paint is falling from the walls I am realizing that this is the reality that most people are living in. This is actually prbly considered nice. Maybe I ache for this because it's the opposite of how I grew up, or maybe because i'm cheap, or maybe because im adventurous. But maybe its just the way I am.

Immediately after getting off the plane I felt right...right where I should be. Even though it was too dark to see the mountains I still felt like I was stepping foot onto the land that I wanted to call my new home, for at least the next 3 months (nothing can ever be 639, obviously). The air thinner the nights chilly and the city full of volcanic ash that was used by the Spanish to build a unique city. With thin stone roads that lye between walls of white volcanic ash. So thin the car feels like its going to get stuck. Its feels like a mixture between Europe and Latin America.

Waking up excited to the sun shining through the hostal window I opened up the window to see mountains with their tips covered in snow. WOW! Spectacular. Standing at 1,500 meters (although everyone says something different, makes you think of facts, stories, legends, etc before internet and fact checked sources) looking up at 6,000 meters. Damn this is home! After running up to the roof deck the whole sky was painted tall and covered with volcanoes! Chachani,  Misti and Pichu pichu. Yes....yes I can definitely live here.  More tranquillo, friendlier people, beautiful city and beautiful scenery. 1 30hrs from the coast 3hrs from the colca canyon (deepest canyon)  1 30hr plane ride to Lima and 45min plane ride to Cusco. Talk about location.

Yesterday we went on a full day adventure to the Colca Canyon and a full day it was. Leaving @ 4am and getting back at 5:30pm. I normally like to stay away from touristy activities but damn this is one everyone who comes here has to do, at the least. The day starts up driving 3hrs as high as 4900 meters. 

I'm so tired to I'm going to leave you on a cliff hanger.

Today was my first day of work. Wow it was actually fun! I can't beleive I have a job and started working. A new chapter is always beginning. Even if you don't have time to fully comprehend it.

Kiki headed back to Lima tonight. It was really hard to say nos vemos. It is now my first time being by myself in Perú.

No comments:

Post a Comment