Saturday, October 5, 2013

5 temple day

Woah woah we.

Smiles, smiles, tuk tuks, pink taxis, temples, Chang, backpackers, hot, pad thai, CHEAP, smiles.

The people here are the first thing I noticied. In my experience the people in China were rude and unfriendly in public. Getting on and off the trains, ordering at restaurants, walking through the cities, asking people for directions,  etc. On top of that not many people speak English.  Out of everywhere I've been China speaks the worst English. This surprised me because China is an economic power so I figured many people would speak English but nooo. It was awkard acting out the word "toilet". But once you are in a group of friends or family, I was lucky enough to have , people are incredibly friendly. They do everything for you pouring tea, buying gifts.

Thailand is amazing. At the airport I ran Into 3 Americans studying in HK on vacation and I took off with them to find a hostel. The hostel is full of backpackers from around the world which is nice. Thailand seems to be full of backpackers but it hasn't seemed to ruin their way of life. I havent seen many western influences of restaurants (McDonalds,  BK, etc), clothing and jewelry like Chinese cities are. This was a huge relief after HK. If someone blind folded you and sent you to HK and made you guess where you are you would guess you were in the west.

Here are some pics from the 5 temple day. 4 Buddhist and 1 Hindu. I am with the famous and enormous reclining Buddha in one and the next picture at another temple with a friend from my hostel.

Last night I went out here and got malled by a lady boy, watched people eat scorpions and met huge amounts of backpackers.  Today I went to the weekend market with these 2 Danish guys I met. Its susupposedly the biggest outdoor market in Asia. We just hung out all day getting lost in the markets. So many great food and clothes to buy and its so cheap it would be easy to go crazy.

3 comments:

  1. mac the happiest person in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should check out the Atlanta hotel in Bangkok. small cheap great food and the oldest pool in Bangkok It's a unique place. DOn't miss Chaing Mai where Emma was and the south Islands Ko Tao was our favorite
    You can probably kite boars in Monet Vietnam NE of Saigon. look at my comment on random thoughts post

    ReplyDelete