Saturday, August 3, 2013

FFT13 round 2

Argh! I wrote a big post last night but it did not send and is now not accessible on my phone but ill redo it! Sorry I have not been able to post because we have not had internet access and we have barely had any time to relax we've been so busy. We are now in Jerusalem on shabbot what a great time to be here. But im going to go back a few days in time, our second day. We started the day by going to the golan heights in the North of Israel. It was a hot abd dry hike at the beginning until we started to make some stream crossings as well as seeing beautiful wild purple flowers.  Along the way we saw old Syrian villages made of stone and burial sites that were impressive rock piles. As the day got hotter and the shade more sparse we came to an amazing canyon with an amazing swimming hole that we cooled off in. This was religion for me a perfect place at a perfect time. After the hike we eat "the best falafel in the world" and I would agree especially since the guy giving them out was a riot haha.

Then we went to another spot in the golan heights where part of the 6 day war in Israel was fought. As we were sitting in the former Syrian bunkers our amazing tour guide Beni was telling us vivid stories that painted the picture and put our imaginations into the scenario.

Next we went river rafting in the jordan river. The rapids were wild reaching as high as 0.01 (jk it was so calm). But just because the river was calm did not mean the passengers were. We were jumping on to others rafts spraying each other with our paddles, friends and strangers,  and just floating down the river in our lifejackets. My face hurt from laughing thr whole time.  The edges of the rivers were full of kids camping and splashing us with water. We even were spraying orthodox jews, oops.

Part of the story of the day for me was that I was supposed to meet up with Yak and Leah if they could make it. I told them 630 because we were supposed to be back at 6. But as time for me is not supposed to be on we made it back at 8. I felt bad but there was nothing I could do about it. It was so strange as I walked off the bus and saw 2 people waiting in the lobby that I knew were them. Walking in to meet family who existed but I never met, meeting parts of my family tree who have lived a different experience in my family and knew everone in my famiky in a much different way then I did. It was surreal. I listened to Yak tell me all kinds of stories that were filling in family history that I didnt even know existed. However Leah was very exhausted after waiting for me and driving 45 min to come seeme. AAlthough we only got to hang out for an hour it was great and it meant a loy that they went through hoops to see me. They even bought me 3 chocolate bars, maybe it was uncle oshers or as they called him howies influence on them

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear from you and read your post. I had the thought that maybe you no longer had your phone :( Loved the story, I can see you on the river, you probably started the whole thing.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete