Friday, November 1, 2013

Rambling man

I was so ready to leave scumbag city aka Bangkok. I made a really great group of diverse friends at my hostel that I had a great time with but Bangkok isn't anywhere I wanted to spend any more time in. Looking around you see white guys with Thai girls and rarely ever the opposite combo. What you see is neither love or lust, but prostitution. You wonder how these hags could feel comfortable holding hands with girls who look no older than 18 around town as if they are showing off a prize. Don't feel special buddy! It doesnt matter what you look like or what your personality is like,  just the size of your wallet!

After staying out way late on Halloween on Khao San rd, the famous town for backpackers in BKK I was on the road again saying adios to Thailand, until next time or forever. I had a great mix of tourist fun and unique exotic experience that I could not have imagined myself getting into.

Most memorable moments of Thailand: Staying in Umpang with my friend I met who worked for an NGO there. Hermit village, Burmese refugee camp, cock fight, breakfast lunch and dinner with only Thai people, rice wine, eating frog that i saw get caught, killed and cooked. Hitch hiking in the back of a pickup truck on a 2 hr ride  Sleeping in a bamboo house in the middle of a rice paddy waking up to roosters and in the meanwhile my friend had picked up breakfast and we ate it on the porch. Also my motorbike rd trip around 300km through more than 1,300 windy turns up and around mountainous rds through the jungle.

Anyways, after a super-tourist night I shortly after on a plane to a place where I feel far far away from the party haven of Bangkok. 

As I was sitting in a restaurant getting lunch I suddenly got the feeling as if a ghost had crawled up my spine, a cold flash and a light head,  the feeling of your body and mind at the same time realizing you are in a very different place. Hard to explain but we've all felt it. I had lunch and all the girls at the restaurant looked at me so we started communciating, barely and all of a sudden 8 girls are surrounding me laughing at me/ with me and speaking Burmese language. We entertained each other for awhile and finally when it was getting too difficult to talk more they ran and grabbed a older guy who spoke English. We got to talking and didn't stop,  he ended up taking me around the city showing me all these local things and explaining to me the culture, beliefs, languages, history, etc. Etc. He is an amazingly friendly, funny, spiritual and philosophical guy. We then went out to eat at a restaurant that while we ate and drank there was a stagr that ran in the niddle of everything where girls sang karaoke and did a fashion show. It was wild.

I'm exhausted but I just wanted to get some of these things down before I forget so excuse the rambling that proaby doesn't make sense.

I cant believe any of this happened such an unexpected day. Put yourself in situations and some things will happen.

6 comments:

  1. Keep on Rambling and Truckin' too. Great Blog Post. I really enjoy reading about your adventures - although there seems to be a common theme of you and 4-8 young woman gathering around you... The Greenwald genes are strong in you!

    Rambling Man lyrics can be found at http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/bigfish/ramblinman.htm - a hugely popular song by the allman brothers

    Truckin' lyric by Grateful Dead can be found here http://www.lyricsfreak.com/g/grateful+dead/truckin_20062376.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you are in Burma?

    Okay, now the Uncle Fun advise column: If you end up passing thru Bangkok again, don't bother with Khao San Rd or any of the typical backpacker spots. Find The Atlanta Hotel on Soi 2 It's a unique cultural experience. Study the menu, it's a tour of the history of Thai cuisine, region by region, then taste the authentic stuff. Hang out with a drink at the oldest pool in Bangkok It's a small place and inexpensive maybe $15-$20/night. Meet Sir Roger, The extremely interesting Jewish, British man that basically lives there. Let him know your my nephew and go to the Saxophone Club together. The sleazy, touristy and historical things in are all most farungs (foreigners) see of Bangkok, but there are jewels there too.

    Did you ever think of asking Emma to introduce you to her friend's family that lives near the Atlanta in Bangkok. She seems sweet, worldly,and is cute. I'm sure she (or her family) could give you insight to a different side of life in Bangkok.

    If you head down to the islands, Burma, Thailand, Malay Peninsula, watch your stuff and don't linger too long in the party scenes, get to the more remote primitive spots. Swim and Snorkel a lot.

    Rains are starting here. I'm heading to South Utah Monday to mtn bike and hike around Hurricane and the Escalantes.

    Go Ducks Stanford Nov 7 continue your posting, more photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would follow the blog to your homepage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take care of yourself my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am writing for the last time
    I'm sorry you all

    ReplyDelete