Monday, December 9, 2013

And that's a wrap...for now!

Well well well. What do we have here Mr. Calendar. What do you read? The 10th of who? DECEMBER??? No it can't be. It's just not possible.
"Excuse me sir, do you have the date?"
"The 10th"
"Of what?"
"December".

How did this date arrive? The trip seemed endless and the lifestyle everlasting, hopefully it will be. But wow, this journey took all kinds of sideroads and twisted tunnels that I could have never forseen and that was the beauty of it. It turned out the way it was supposed to, well maybe not even that, it just turned out the way it did, and the way it did was a way I could have never planned, and that's why I didn't, and why most likely I never really will! (Sorry mom!)

I saw the lowest of lows in society and the highest of highs.

As I was overlooking Syria from a ridge from the Golan heights I listened as bombs continuously went off, only 20 kilometers away, with the realization that people were losing homes, families and there possessions.

In Turkey as I was waiting to catch a local bus to Ürgub I went to a store to buy an Orange before the bus ride. Not understanding quite right I handed him too much money. He could have taken the money and said thanks, as I was a foreigner, we are stupid and supposed to get ripped off right? No he went running after me to hand me back my money, which turned out to only be a few cents. I didn't care about receiving the money just small acts of kindness and morality that makes you feel protected, that you are being looked out for. 

The warm arms (even if they weren't literally arms because hugging and body contact is not always welcomed in Asia) that welcomed me when I entered my friends and their families. It was way more than I could have ever asked for and I never felt like I was out of place,  although pictures look otherwise haha.

But it showed me the love and kindness that exists from the middle east, to east Asia and southeast Asia. In many diverse societies where in some religion is deep rooted and others where social groups are hard to enter. It didn't matter my religion, my skin color, my big nose, or my inability to speak their languages.

Even more touching then being welcomed in by my friends and there families was being welcomed in by people who I had just met. Most specifically in Thailand  and Myanmar. People I literally just met who were not other travellers, but the local people, took me in as if I was a brother and now I feel like these people are my brothers. Taking me to remote villages where foreigners rarely visited and in some had never visited, but I was still treated like a brother. These people owed me nothing and in some cases had close to nothing but they wanted to give me anything and everything. There are no words for these people, the only thing I can say is I hope to see them again and that I would do the same for them if they ever visited me.

Seeing friends that I hadn't seem anywhere between 1 month and 3 years was way cooler than I could have imagined.

Israel- Yak & Leah
Turkey- Yusuf
China- Luca & Peilin
Hong Kong- The Ronalds
Thailand- Jesse
China (2nd time)- Yiren, Joaquin
Japan- ROY! Sato, Ayumi, Roy Hongo, Kazu.

As Lucas family friend said friendship is as wide as the sky and long as the universe.

I could write forever, but I think the people at this sushi bar I'm sitting at for breakfast want me to order more than miso soup if I'm going to be here forever!

Travelling is a lifestyle. A lifestyle I won't be able to stop living.

This time has been amazing but I am excited to be back in the USA, especially to be back with my family at 639 echo lane. I understand what gpops means when we ask him what his favorite place in the world is.

Love you all! And see you all soon!

Also I CANT BELIEVE MY SISTER IS GETTING MARRIED!!!! Huge felicidades a mi hermana!!!

The world is a beautiful place.

3 comments:

  1. And you my son are a remarkable young man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mac, my brother, my friend, the person I look up to (literally and figuratively), have taught me the importance of what living life to fullest means. You are a role model for what it means to never take anything for granted and to always go with the flow. Your writing is incredible and your stories literally move me to tears. I am so lucky to call you my family because I believe you hold a special gift to change the world and I think one day you might just do that. Keep being you, you have the ability to inspire. I love you! Can't wait to see your face.

    ReplyDelete